26 September 2013

Kaua'i: Na Pali Coast & Kalalau Trail

In the week break between summer and fall semesters we journeyed to the distant land of Kaua'i. While we had done a fair bit of research on what we would like to do there; our plans were decidedly flexible. We have found in the past that rigid planning is good for people that are not us; Glen inevitably over-plans if it is left to him, so we just had ideas of what we'd do and went with it. It's a long story that I'm not sure I am ready to write out, so here are pretty photos instead! Yes. Below, are pictures from our first few days on island.

Kalalau Trail (Na Pali Coast Trail)
 He's mine.
 The terrain on the cliff sides at about 9-10 miles in gets extremely crumbly and dangerous. There have been landslides that caused the trail to be washed out. The path is covered with loose dirt and drops off to sharp rocks and waves below.
Delightful.
 The shower of all showers. Glen is converted to it; it's on his list of home amenities now, which I am completely okay with.
 Our sleeping quarters (that little green tent) were in a small cave below a beautiful crumbling wall.

I will say that it was a tough hike and there were times that Glen and I really prayed about turning back due to unsafe terrain and lack of sleep. The full 11 miles is not all beautiful pictures and fun; there were moments of extreme difficulty for us and especially me because my shoes were not capable of having traction on ANYTHING. There are other options of getting to the Kalalau Valley, which, if you are planning on going, we would be glad to offer insight on.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! What an adventure!! I'm glad to know that you are both safe. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete