16 May 2015

Being Called to the Stake

Okay, so no one's going to tie me to a post and burn me, but my sweat might take out the flames at this point even so -- I've been asked to sing in a quartet for our Stake's conference tonight.

I received an urgent email yesterday from our ward's choir director saying that the soprano voice meant for this had suddenly fallen ill and if I could please please please fill in it'd be wonderful.

I like singing if we're being honest here. I plan on singing to every child I rear because I believe it will help me get through every day a little happier. The only part of singing I don't like is the public part; the one where there's a microphone especially makes me want to hurl. Don't misunderstand, I know that everyone will be so dear and kind about the whole thing tonight. I will receive compliments on overload because that's what Mormons do -- they lift each other and make you feel good about being you. It still makes my feet cold though (which is Mythbusters proven, so yeah).

I've been practicing with Glen because he's better at knowing notes. I just follow the girl next to me, but in this case, there's no other girl singing my part. This has got to be a mistake, amiright?! But here we are a few hours until the thing starts and I'm rumbly in my tumbly and it's not time for something sweet, Pooh... it's time for a bathroom break.

This isn't a big deal if I think about it logically. Most people don't even go to the adult session of stake conference. The men will set up all the chairs going way into the cultural hall, but we all know those are just going to be used for Sunday's session. And like I said before, everyone's going to be super nice about it.

So what is there to worry about?

Wish me luck.


...Lemme just go see that porcelain bowl one last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment