18 September 2014

Hulina Lani: Maunawili Trail

The longer we stay, the more friends we have to see leave; not that we have a ton to lose or anything, but that's probably what makes it harder. A lot of friendships are borne through adversity especially while in school (maybe that's why University sounds so much like adversity, I don't know. I'm no English scholar nor even an English student. My last English class was three years ago and I was horribly comma-happy then too. They're just too cute not to use, you know? What's the big deal grammar sheriffs of the world?). I've always had trouble with relationships... I seem to give too little of my time, my emotion, my life, my love. They never know how much they are appreciated or needed; I think it's because I have trouble relating to others out loud, I'd much rather be pen-pals that see each other regularly; write out all of my conversations with people. There's more time and less pressure for me to say the right thing at the right time. But that isn't actually realistic because I like being with people and why would anyone want to write out a conversation with me if talking is available? A plus would possibly be awesome forearm and hand muscles on one side. Maybe we could become ambidextrous from it! Calligraphy enthusiasts! So many possibilities! No takers? Yeah, my expectations were low -- all good.

So Glen's friends inevitably become my friends too (even if they don't want it; Glen's inclusive like that. Such a sweet man) because I never step up to the task. Ha. We met Sebastian through classes and the gym. He was is at the gym all day, this guy. Not really, but if you needed to talk to him and didn't know where he was... first reaction is to check the gym on campus. I know what you're probably thinking, "OMG! You're friends with a meat head, gross." But it totally isn't true with Sebass. For some reason he skipped over rule #3: be a total jerk to anyone with biceps smaller than their face; and also try to talk up your "sex-life" every chance you get. Sebass is awesome and an all around good guy...and is now in the single-game in Las Vegas, ladies. Put a ring on that. Haha. Just kidding kind of.

For our last outing, we went on a hike none of us were familiar with, the Maunawili Trail. It's a beautiful, 10-mile, A-B hike. Not much elevation gain because you start half way up the mountain off the Pali, which I was definitely into.
Science nerds talking about science nerd stuff. They really were. I love it, even when they're on break from school they bring up stuff that they had to study their brains out for the last couple of years. True love for a subject I abhor, that's beauty. Glen is also teaching everyone the art of washing your hair with 'awapuhi kuahiwi. We're trying to see if we can smuggle some to CA when we go home. It should be interesting.

There was a ton of fruit on this hike. The evidence is still on my sandals. Here, Shawn's up in the trees on the cliff's face along the trail picking guavas for us (you've met Shawn before here... and he's single too, just sayin'). The only problem with having fruit so readily available to you on a hike is the bladder situation. Fruit, I love. Relieving fluids on a trail, I don't love. But it's either relieve or suffer the wrath of a full bladder because we all know the fruit is being eaten.
Just so you know, it is a rare scene to behold my nails painted and without chips. #eighthwonderoftheworld

We turned back midway because we all had to get back to La'ie for different reasons and there was no car waiting for us at the end. We were supposed to have a switch of keys midway with a group that had started from the opposite end, but that didn't pan out. We could have done it with our car, but our brakes aren't really working right now. So we made the safe decision not to use it. It would have kind of ruined the whole 'hang out with Sebass one last time before he leaves' anyway.
Aren't we just amazing models? It's like we were born for it or something. It's so amazing. That's sarcasm.

And we topped her off with some manapua from 7-Eleven. And yes, I'm shoving two into my mouth simultaneously. Classic power move. Also, I'm pretty sure my grandma flew to Hawai'i and was stalking us in that black Honda behind me because that parking job has her name all over it.

And just so you know, I do have some friends. I don't want to make them feel ostracized if they read the top portion and thought to themselves, "Man, I thought we were friends!" Also, I love all Glen's friends even if you didn't accidentally become my friend too! No disrespect meant to anyone; it's just an observation I've made several times that I don't want to forget. Because when I do forget, it usually means I'm more susceptible to it happening again. So there's that.

We miss you Sebass! The gym isn't the same without you :)
Aloha 'oe

No comments:

Post a Comment