We went South for the Winter. Although, it's more Southeast and actually Spring time everywhere on the Northern hemisphere. Details matter. Have you ever thought about the hemispheres having opposite Seasons before? I know I hadn't before coming to HI. It's totally coming up on Winter down there as we are heading into Summer. How marvelous. They have Christmas in SUMMER. How intriguing. White Christmas doesn't even sound close to their kind of Christmas. Whaaaat!? Yeah. I was blown away the first time I heard someone say this to my face. Just like that time my aunt Debi told me she got the spread for the Northwoods Inn delicious toast from Albertson's. OMWhaaaaat? I could have sworn she hand-crafted it out of the clouds I'm sure make up heaven. I actually cried. Yes, I really did. I thought it was going to be handed down from generation to generation; that recipe was going to change my posterity's lives. How diabolical. That dream ended about three years ago. Now I guess Albertson's will change their lives. Maybe I'll just tell them it's from the nectar of beautiful orange and yellow flowers found only in the 100 Aker Wood. They're going to love it.
Anyway, back to the Southeast/Spring time thing. This is Makapu'u. Part of it. None of this can do justice to the terror that ensued down this (I want to say mountain side because it really does feel like it) hill side. Steep, treacherous landslide is a more suitable name.
I just love the cloud-shine in this one. Is cloud-shine a thing? Well, this is it anyway.
This is from the bottom looking up. Our friends have babies. Also, these same friends came down and back up that with babies in their arms! The things you do for your children. But mostly for you because you want to be down there and they really don't care as long as there's food involved.
The splashes were divine. Glen and I weren't really into the tide pools that day. Mostly because they were kind of just dirty looking and the fish looked like they needed some serious rehabilitation from whatever those gills are letting in.
One of the babies! These are the Richardson's, which have been mentioned before. I feel like this is a really weird game show and I'm making them sound attractive to potential friends. **Price is Right voice on: Mandy loves cooking and long walks on the beach; David enjoys FUTBOOOOOOOLLLL and not shaving; Donovin finds happiness in animal noises and food. Come on down!**
There was a blowhole that was powerful. It hurt to stand in front of it because the tiny, death water droplets would bite at you as you got blown away. It made this disturbing sucking noise too; like it was putting its best efforts forth to suck you down into what I'm sure would be death.
On the way up the Zimm's were leading the pack. We ended up coming up the wrong way. Not that it wasn't a marked path because it mostly was, but the altitude achieved was significantly higher than where the stroller had been stashed.

After a little break at the top and a too-soon-goodbye to the Richardson's, we followed the nicely paved road to the Lighthouse.
It's pictures like these that really make me sad I don't know that person in it. It would be awesome to just send him an email with the sweet pictures we got of him. They should really hold up signs every other minute with their junk email address on it. Just in case.
The big islet in the foreground is Manana Island (otherwise known as Rabbit Island). Our friend Mike (who went on the Pillbox hike with us and his puppy) told us that rabbits were raised there a while ago, but they were taken off around 20 years ago because they were ruining the ecosystem out there. It was and is again a nesting area for several kinds of tropical birds; it was made a protected bird sanctuary after the rabbits were eradicated.
The flat islet is Kaohikaipu, which is also a protected bird sanctuary.
The water just below the lookouts was incredibly turquoise and clear. We love this place.
Good hike with great friends. And can we just think about Christmas being in Summer again? Woah.
A hui hou.











No comments:
Post a Comment