25 May 2014

Hulina Lani: Punchbowl Cemetery

Happy Memorial Day. I was trying to figure out what the proper greeting would be for this day of remembrance: happy, solemn, maybe no greeting word. But I decided it is supposed to be a day of celebration for those who have given themselves to this country for however long and in whatever capacity. It's a beautiful holiday, one that I didn't understand growing up and probably still don't. I've become attached to the U.S.A. and it seems to be continuous. I didn't feel much for it in earlier years, not knowing about anything made me an unattached person all around. Still, I'm not much of a knowledgeable person, but I know how to search my feelings a million times better than ever before. 
Glen and I have learned that together. He is a thinker. A mover, even. He uses rational logic and research to ease his mind on subjects. I let him tell me things that he's read with the best 'I am comprehending the words that come out of your mouth' face, while secretly thinking about how great of a blessing cereal is. Really though, I do try. Often, I get what he's saying after the third go around. But I just don't function that way. If I am faced with two options or more, I'll feel it out. I don't necessarily have the urge to read for ten days about it; although I do see the importance and merit of doing this, it is not often that I will do it of my own free will. Feeling through it isn't always the best option for people, but it seems to work for me and I'm okay with that.
Anyway, I am grateful beyond measure for the patriotism I have. I may not agree with all of the laws, leaders, bureaucrats, systems, blahblahblah, but I do know I love these United States. And I know I love them more and more as I read of the histories and biographies that made this country great. 
On this memorial day, I will be celebrating the serving, served, fallen, and every person that delights in the blessed life this country offers.

A few weeks ago, we went with Zach and Sawyer to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. It was built inside of the Punchbowl Crater in Honolulu.  We meant to go with Glen's parents when they were here for graduation, but we got there a minute after the gates closed for the night. Oh well.

On our way, the Ko'olau mountains were erupting with waterfalls because of the loads of rain we've been getting. Every time we see it like this, it is a wonder to witness and reminds us to love this place all the more. 


Beautiful stonework and sentiments run rampant at this place. Words have never been something I felt comfortable with. They scare me a little to be honest; especially now that I have grown to see so many hurt by the words that others speak to them, words that I have spoken. I also recognize the other side of words though, where love is shared and returned or happiness spread. It's beautiful when someone can articulate such a noble cause as fighting for freedom and family as those that are on these walls.So, I love and hate words at the same time. It's complicated.

They build trees into doughnut shapes here. How remarkable. I loved it. At the top, there were two sets of four trees that had been molded into a huge circle-ish (the bigger, the messier), but they're kind of short trees so I couldn't get a photo of them. I had to lay on the wet grass to get this one. Worth it.

Sawyer jumps e-ver-y-where. Zach has taught him well to want to jump off any lip or mountain (this kid's intense) he can find. It's pretty adorable.

It was a great day. We really wished the trees were blooming already, but green landscape is never an unfortunate sight :)
We might go back... we'll see. We really love those trees both in bloom and not, but mostly in. They're beautiful. Although it is in the dreadful Honolulu, so it's not certain. Nothing is really.

Aloha.

No comments:

Post a Comment