07 June 2012

Eating and Other Things.

We have a lot of awesome friends that are leaving us this summer.
It's really sad, but also great that they graduated or whatever ;)
One just left today (June 6)
We went with them [Brent, Janelle, and baby Trooper] to Nico's last weekend.
I have talked about this place before... with much adoration.
Let me just emphasize again the magnitude of the tastiness coming off of that French man's grill.
I love Nico's.

[Furikake ahi plate lunch; Us at Pier 38; Glen: gleefully full of tasty food]

Can you believe that we are standing by a pier?
It is delightful to look out at a pier's waters and not have my mind immediately drawn to 
what scenarios of scientific wonders that led the water to be such murky disgust.
Hawaii is good for that: clear, vibrant hues of blue, beautiful sea.
                                                                                       
The school put on The Hobbit and Gollum was pretty good at being weird.
He even had the little shoots of hair coming out of the top of his head; styling for sure.
We found that sand sculpture on Temple Beach.
It had boogers coming out of it's nose.
Good thing AJ wasn't there or else he would have stepped on it with his big feet :P

[BYUH: The Hobbit; Temple Beach: Rapa Nui sand sculpture; 
Aloha Stadium Swapmeet: Us, rice bag shorts]

We went to the swapmeet  and I got a scalloped-shape suntan because of the neck of my shirt.
Those shorts right there, made out of rice bags.
They are also $30. ha ha. That's hilarious.
So, we are going to try to make them instead of buying them from a swapmeet con-artist.
And by "we," I mean my Mother-in-law; thank goodness :)

[Relay for Life Service Project: First Aid Booth]

We volunteered at the first-aid booth for the Relay for Life in Hau'ula (a neighboring town).
It rained, we laughed, walked, and learned how to suture from Dr. Arch.
He also taught us how to tie a square knot with one hand.
I feel really good about it.
AND we got a free shirt.
We have gotten six free t-shirts since being here... I think they made too many a while back and are just trying to empty out their inventory.
It's wonderful.
It was really cool when they turned off the generators and it went super dark.
Everyone who had lost someone close lit a luminary for that person and they surrounded the track that we were walking on to raise money and awareness for cancer victims.
I read several of them and it was really sad to see so many of them have little messages to their family members on them.
One of them looked like it could have been written by a kindergartner for their Dad. 
And even though I did not know that little child and we never met to my knowledge, I was glad we were there serving him.
                                                                                       
You may ask yourself on occasion, what do those Mormons do for fun?
Well, let me tell you what a "regular" night is like here at BYUH on-campus, married housing (TVA)
We stay up late at night talking about the moon on the balcony with the pleasant roar of a Vitamix shredding up all of the fruit, ice, and ice cream it can muster (which is an amazing amount).
And, so the neighboring building can get in on the conversation, we make tin can phones and hurtle them across the courtyard between the two balconies.
It is quite a party.


[Top 2: TVA party; Bottom 2: BYUH Science Dpt.] 

So, Venus came and went.
Too bad the North Shore is notorious for clouds and rain on the most random of occasions.
Especially when the occasion only comes every like 100 years!
The telescope stayed under that awning all day. All lonely and cold.
There was a 15 second period where the clouds parted and that looking glass was hurried out to see the speck on the sun.
And then, hope was gone again.
Oh well, I'll just be dead next time that happens. But whatever.

[BYUH Aloha Center: Student Art]

That woman's hand is amazing.
It looks better than mine and it's made out of clay.
I guess we're all kind of made out of clay though.
So, it's all relative really.

It's finals week again... that's usually a good indication that I'll be blogging.
When I can't focus, I blog until I'm bored of listening to my thoughts.
That is now.

We come home next week :)

6 comments:

  1. You guys are so cool. I'm so jealous of your awesome life in Hawaii. And I wish we could see you while you're in California, but I'm not really able to travel and we're four hours away. :( I hope you guys have an awesome trip though! Sounds like it will be nice and long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahhaa! It's hurricane season, so maybe that will console your jealousy. And then after hurricane season, it's monsoon season :) Only four hours, huh? Maybe we can come to you guys and do whatever it is people do in Fresno... sit around in the A/C seems pretty accurate to me.

      Delete
  2. you have some awesome pictures! I love seeing your blog updates! I saw that you two will be making an appearance at the celebration of Justin & Naomi, and so will the little guy and I (justin will be in utah working) Can't wait to see you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!! We are even more excited now! That stinks for Justin, but JJ is even better hahahahha! Just kidding...I think :D

      Delete
  3. Breann.a! So nice to visit with you here. Lovely, lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing about the "Good thng Aj isnt there to step on it with his big feet" haha yeah so you can chase him around the beach just to beat him up haha memories

    ReplyDelete