Week 1: I noticed a major change in my body what I think was close to straight away -- my breasts were extremely sore and I gained about 5 pounds out of nowhere and haven't gone up or down since (besides normal fluctuations throughout the day). I feel the weight gain is a huge blessing because I have been on the borderline of healthy/unhealthy according to simple BMI metrics; on the healthy side of that borderline, but close. All I want is to be healthy and this has helped me and the baby. Still did not think I was pregnant though.
Week 2: I love meat. I haven't been into eating meat for a while; not because of any disdain for meat-eating, but there just hasn't been a big desire to do it. We've been through some weeks where our meals were meatless (maybe not completely bacon-grease-less though) especially in Hawai'i. Anyway, my body has come to the realization of the tastiness of meat again. I don't eat an exorbitant amount because I can't eat much at any one meal, but I do want it more. We went to Knott's Berry Farm with the youth in our ward this week; I remember not knowing at this point that I was for sure pregnant. I remember thinking that it's possible because of the weirdness in bodily feelings, but didn't believe it to be due to an embryo.
Week 3: I started noticing that I have more pimples on my face than normal. Yay. Pregnancy becoming more of a reality.
Week 4: I have a case of bacne, which I've never experienced before. It's very uncomfortable and, obviously, super lame. We'll see how this all works out; hopefully my body gets used to all of the weirdness in hormones soon. Pregnancy obvious to me, not even a possibility for Glen.
Week 5: Glen and I are really blessed -- I really am very similar to my old self besides all-day nausea and tiredness. These things we can get through just fine; I mean, I love sleep anyway. We were both afraid of what could possibly happen to my personality during these trying months and I really haven't changed much. I've always been in love with sleep and the nausea sucks, but it's livable. Glen is realizing that the mean monster hasn't been around for a while...
Week 6: I took a pregnancy test this week because Glen wanted more evidence. I didn't want to spend the money because it's pretty set by now. I peed on it anyway and the little plus sign arrived as expected. So gross.
Week 7: I took the first portion of the CPA exam (BEC) this week and I passed!!! [I actually found out I passed in Week 9 (May 5), but timelines are boring to stick to sometimes.] Right before, I ate a banana to calm my stomach and drank water. I had to take a break once to go to the restroom and drink more water, but it wasn't as terrible as I had previously imagined it going (being pregnant and all). I got out with two minutes to spare for time and I watched YouTube videos of Jimmy Fallon playing stupid games on his show to make sure I stopped thinking completely. My mind was in distress. Glen picked me up and we headed off to Dave & Buster's for our end of tax season party for work! I was actually pretty stoked because Hayley and Jaydyn would be there. Glen and I found our spot at the "Down the Clown" game (popular carnival-type game to really waste your money on, but we found the groove); our arms were so sore by the end of it and we didn't want to stop. We ended up with close to 3,500 tickets! We got a selfie-stick to make it easier to make videos for our baby because we are those people. Two head-massager things that look like a cartoon's hair when they're upside-down because why not? A large bank tube full of warheads, which ended up being stupid because they were better in our memories. And three bags of sour chews, which are really shocktarts with a new name. It was awesome and we were the last ones to leave (as usual); people in our group were giving us their leftover game tokens when they hit the road, it was the best. We had several tickets left on our account, but not enough to get anything with so we found a cute kid and gave it to him. He was with what I assumed to be his mother and they told us it was his birthday! They were grateful and so were we. We saw the OCMCO perform (referring to the picture) because a few people from our stake are in it and the concert was beautiful. Music is so uplifting. And I also went to my friend Vi's baby shower for her cute little Cassidy babe.
Week 8: I researched some doctors that are in our health network for my OB-GYN care and found one that I feel good about. When I was researching, I felt really good about a Dr. Buchanan, but his online profile said that he specialized in abnormal births (like twins and stuff) so I looked down the list and found a different one in the same office and felt fine. When I called to make an appointment, they asked if I had any desires to be with a certain doctor and I said no because this is my first time being pregnant and I haven't a clue about anything haha. I guess I said that for good reason because she said that Dr. Buchanan was going to be in the office at the time I had previously agreed to! I was happy and relieved that the internet isn't right a lot of the time. Also, first "pregnant picture" taken.
Week 9: We went to the doctor for the first time this week! The first appointment was for an ultrasound with a nurse at the Yorba Linda location of the St. Jude Women's Center practice (where we're doing all our baby stuff). We were late because we went to the wrong building and then couldn't find where to go when we arrived at the correct building. On top of that, I forgot the paperwork that had been emailed to me to fill out and bring with us; many small mistakes being wrapped up into a large annoyance for others. After we got into the room and the nurse warmed up a little, we saw our wee embryo being all baby-like. We heard the heartbeat and the little thing was squirming around like it had somewhere to go. It doesn't. We could see legs and arms and my worst fear -- a huge head haha. Glen's family has huge craniums; not very excited about the birthing part of that situation. We got some pictures and hid them tightly away in my bag before filling out an hour's worth of paperwork. Our second appointment was with Dr. Buchanan at the Fullerton office across the street from St. Jude Hospital. We got to this one early because we weren't keen on paying for parking and we had no idea where to go again. Surprisingly, we managed to arrive at the right office without much frustration. We waited in a room for about an hour before doc came in because a patient had crashed right before he was about to leave the hospital. We were just watching YouTube and trying to calm my nerves, so it went by fast and we had a good time just laying around in my hospital gown. Very breathable. He arrived and I was sweating profusely from then on; I haven't been naked at a doctor's appointment for probably 10 years. Mostly though, I just wanted everything to be okay and it turned up fine. We left and I was late for work :)
Week 10: We video-chatted with Elder Ian on Mother's Day and told everyone we were pregnant. Later that night, we went over to Grandma's and told everyone there, too. I was nervous because I don't mind being a wallflower and being pregnant kind of makes that hard. All went well. This was the immediate aftermath of telling my family (those who were present) -- Jay's so stoked to have two new babies coming this year.
Week 11: Prenatal vitamins to the freaking rescue -- and then not so much. I was feeling so terrible at the beginning of this week/end of last week. I honestly felt like I might pass out at any moment. Mid-week, Glen shopped around for some prenatal vitamins and got me these crazy huge pills that have everything I need in them (so they say). I took one that night and felt like myself in the morning, which hasn't happened in several weeks. I usually wake with a mild to moderate headache and terrible stomach-aches. It felt amazing. A couple nights later and I had a very hard time getting that stupid pill down my throat for the last time. It freaked me out and so I've had trouble with it since because my mind is strong-willed. Glen and I looked up some techniques for getting that thing down and we're going to try them out in week twelve (tomorrow -- crossing our fingers for no throw up). Oh, and we took a picture with a key lime at Sprouts because that's what size the little thing is according to the internet. Pictured: key lime.
Week 12: Vitamin throw up issues are history (hopefully) -- the tips that worked for me are putting the pill in my mouth first and drinking it down with juice. It's so simple. **DJ break dance war; throws computer** On Wednesday, Glen received an acceptance email to the University of Hawai'i's medical school -- with a week to tell them whether we are going or not and two months until his first semester would begin. Deliberation meetings have been set for every day until we can't deliberate any longer. We went to the temple Wednesday night and met with our stake president Thursday night. We've been trying to figure out the best course of action for both of our careers knowing that (ultimately) Glen's is our main focus. We've had lots of counsel from others, which we completely appreciate and welcome. It's times like these where I have a good job, Glen's working on remodeling his parent's second home for selling, and we're having a baby that things just seem to want to shake it up. There are so many huge, huge parts to this decision that make it terribly hard and frustrating. Well, we don't know what to do with our lives. To procrastinate thinking about that longer, while driving across town trying to find a plum to take a picture with, Glen informed me that (for the first time) he feels excited to hold our baby! I might tear up again just thinking about it. Also, Glen took a google survey and answered yes to a question about his fatherhood status and got pretty happy. So did I :) On a side note, this was a rather telling week for me, which I'll probably go into later when I feel less tender about the subject and more resolved. Pictured: nectarine because plums aren't in season yet (pretty sure this is larger than the fetus; like pretty dang sure).
Week 13: We still haven't made it social media public, so maybe I'm not pregnant yet? I think that's right. It's not like we have a wish to keep the news private from the Facebook kings, but we just haven't done it. I like telling people to their faces, but also understand that the kid will be a grown up before we'd be able to manage that for some of our loved ones who live far, far away. It'll probably happen soon. Sometime. About me though (haha), I've been feeling better -- some nausea remains, but it isn't all day anymore. I've been finding it a little hard to sleep this week due to the UH decision, I think. We have been weighed down with the responsibility of choosing something so life-altering; there are so many advantages to our family (both immediate and extended) to stay here and just hope we get into a closer, less expensive school next year. We sent in a request for deferral on the due date of our decision -- Wednesday. It gives us a little more time to think about it even if they deny it or offer us a deferral we aren't willing to accept. Also, we played disc golf and went to a family barbecue and the cemeteries (for Memorial day visits to Glen's family) on Saturday. It was a good day! Pictured: that is a tiny peach growing on our tiny peach tree :)
So, the first trimester is over for this wee peach. I've mostly felt (physically) bloated, tired, and nauseous. Emotionally, all over the place haha -- mostly normal though. Crossing fingers for that "superwoman" second trimester phase people rave about enjoying.
Week 13: We still haven't made it social media public, so maybe I'm not pregnant yet? I think that's right. It's not like we have a wish to keep the news private from the Facebook kings, but we just haven't done it. I like telling people to their faces, but also understand that the kid will be a grown up before we'd be able to manage that for some of our loved ones who live far, far away. It'll probably happen soon. Sometime. About me though (haha), I've been feeling better -- some nausea remains, but it isn't all day anymore. I've been finding it a little hard to sleep this week due to the UH decision, I think. We have been weighed down with the responsibility of choosing something so life-altering; there are so many advantages to our family (both immediate and extended) to stay here and just hope we get into a closer, less expensive school next year. We sent in a request for deferral on the due date of our decision -- Wednesday. It gives us a little more time to think about it even if they deny it or offer us a deferral we aren't willing to accept. Also, we played disc golf and went to a family barbecue and the cemeteries (for Memorial day visits to Glen's family) on Saturday. It was a good day! Pictured: that is a tiny peach growing on our tiny peach tree :)
So, the first trimester is over for this wee peach. I've mostly felt (physically) bloated, tired, and nauseous. Emotionally, all over the place haha -- mostly normal though. Crossing fingers for that "superwoman" second trimester phase people rave about enjoying.









No comments:
Post a Comment