Before I go any further with our San Simeon rager, let me just make a quick shout out to Cambria, CA for having the Main Street Grill. Glen and I shared the ABC Burger (Avocado, Bacon, Cheese), which was delightful to look at and eat; and the tri-tip sandwich, which was made a billion times better by the avocado Kate is shucking into Glen's basket. Kate doesn't like when different textures mesh in her food, so we asked for her avocado on the side and in a favorable blunder on the grill's part, we got landed with a side and it in her sandwich still. The fries and onion rings were good while the portion size was excellent; and that barbecue sauce was very tasty. So, if you happen to be hungry close to Cambria, get a side of avocado.
After we were done with our tour and fun up at Hearst Castle, we spent some time in the souvenir shop for the girls to get stuff for their families/themselves. I found a book and a corner to read because souvenir shops make me sick. Sea Otters was the obvious choice because they're the cutest and, if you need another reason at all, our next stop was the coastline.
We went North a little way for the elephant seal stop that is heavily advertised on the bus rides at Hearst Castle... I am not sure why they would do this other than that is the only other thing to do in San Simeon. This theory is solid because they also advertise for Salvang; hours away Solvang.
These guys aren't battling this time of year, they all just sleep on top of each other all day. This big guy is in the middle of their only trick: a throat clicking noise that is distinct and loud. The ones that were playing around in the water kept on doing it; one went under the water still doing it and I could hear it! It was muffled, but loud enough.
In-n-Out did us right after a little mix-up because we had 10 people with custom orders. We ended up with two more burgers than necessary, so this staff gets ten gold stars even though none of us could eat it right then because of sheer discomfort. But it was saved and devoured on the ride home.
This was an awesome weekend trip with our Young Women. Kate bought us two souvenirs, both Christmas ornaments: the first from the Santa Ines mission and the second from Hearst Castle. We love them and are excited to start collecting them on every trip we go on; most will probably be handmade from here on out though. Not that I don't love them, but I just don't like spending money on that kind of stuff when I know I can make something cool too.
For now, Aloha.









No comments:
Post a Comment