29 July 2014

Friends Leave and Storms Help

With the end coming upon us, we're trying to decide what our time can best be used doing. And since both sides of my family are going to Carlsbad this year and we won't be there, it's a really sad time for us. Carlsbad cannot be explained in words good enough for it. It deserves all the dolphins and sand. All your dolphins and sand are belong to Carlsbad. 
Anyway, the hardest part about all of this is our Zimmerman friends left us a couple weeks ago for Texas (but really Oregon where Zach will go to grad school for dietitian stuff). Which is, no doubt, awesome. Just stings a little. The day Sarah and Sawyer left, we walked around TVA and the temple grounds to find plumerias for making them leis. It was a succesful trip. Sawyer's lei just barely fit on my head for a couple seconds at a time. 

We said our goodbyes and Zach drove them away to the airport. So, it's really all Zach's fault I guess. He should have just taken them to 'Ono Yo and never mentioned flying away from us forever. Opportunity lost.

Our last outing with Zach in his life as a bachelor week was a round of golf. No, really it was.

Okay, so it wasn't really "a round" of golf, but it did involve drivers and golf balls. Glen and I went snorkeling a while back out at this beach and found a crazy amount of golf balls. Naturally, we filled Glen's pockets to the point of ripping seams and took them home. The Zimmerman's wee one, Sawyer, knew where they were in our house and every time he came over would immediately ask for a ball or twelve. The boy loves balls. Well, now that he had flown away from us, the golf balls really served no purpose being in our house. Zach had some drivers, so we went to where the balls were found and put them back for someone else to join the Malaekahana Golfer's Club. We're still debating over the colors for the T-shirts, but watch out for them.

The last time I tried my hand at hitting a golf ball as hard as I could it didn't turn out well. It was in the backyard of my Nana's old house when I was somewhere around the age of eight. I was super ticked for a reason I can't remember and decided to walk it off in the backyard. [Do normal kids do that? "Walk off" anger, I mean. I feel like that's weird, but I also don't know many things -- especially regarding children seeing as we are childless. Back to it then.] There just happened to be a golf club and a ball laying there, so I decided rather than wait it out, I would put all my anger into that stupid little ball and blast it away. Thinking myself to be extremely small, I thought I couldn't for my life hit the ball out of the backyard completely, so there was no inkling of restraint. The shattering of glass is never a pleasant noise when you are sure it was your own fault. Tears immediately sprang into my eyes and I ran to my Dad to tell on myself for what I was sure would be my last conversation. I was in the woes of self-destruction when I decided golfing is for others, not me. I ended up breaking our neighbor's sliding glass door and they were super nice about it. Lay out the Benjamins and people are generally very forgiving. No wonder there's so much corruption in this world.
I've mini golfed and putted around, but driving has always scared me because it feels wrong still. Like something will go wrong for sure. Kids keep that kind of crap with them, ya know? They hold onto things, it changes their lives. Maybe I was destined to be an amazing golfer, but that one incident threw me off course. A pity, I'm sure. I did make a ball skip; that's gotta mean something.

Our plan was to try to hit Goat's. When that became an absolute impossibility for us in a quick swing, there was nothing else we could really shoot for. Glen and I might go snorkeling and pick up 15 balls just to make up for ridding the ocean of them and putting them right back a year later. We'll see.

After we dropped Zach off at the airport a week after Sarah and Sawyer left, we watched movies all day and didn't eat. Not really, but I'm not sure what we did. I know I really wanted Rocky Road ice cream sometime around then, but Glen talked me down to a PB m'ood. He thinks a shake is the same as ice cream a lot of the time when everyone knows it is not. #blesshisheart 
The next night or maybe a couple nights after, there was an awesome storm. It kind of made up for all the harshness life was dishing us out. Lightning, thunder, rain. The echoing booms that ensue from the Ko'olau mountains calls for irrational giddiness. It's impossible to keep a straight face. The storm started around 11 pm. We went outside and watched for a while, which felt extra nice because we had sunburns on our bodies from snorkeling and playing earlier that day. The cold rain and wind were equal parts relieving and shocking.
We went back inside after it seemed like it was dying out a bit and went to sleep. Does anyone else hear the sound of thunder and it is just the greatest lullaby of your life? 

During the second hour of the next morning, we were startled awake with the loudest thunder Glen or I had ever heard. It was at the same time exciting and disorienting. I wasn't sure what was going on. I had only just come to an understanding when the loudest thunder Glen or I have ever heard sounded. The next morning we found out that the lightning had struck the lake (flood) in our front yard. Two of our neighbors told us at Church the next day. So cool. We had been standing there just a couple hours previous! I mean, I'm completely glad we weren't still there. Not utter disappointment, but a tiny bit that we didn't even see it. But the sound! It can't be overstated. Here's a little glimpse; bear in mind though, our camera can't pick up the rumbling lows. I wish you could have been there.



No comments:

Post a Comment